It started about a week ago and inspired by this top over at the Tessuti blog I made one for myself. This is a liberty cotton - not a lawn and it has been worn and washed 4 times since I made it - I am a love it and wear it now sort of girl you see.
It was trace cut then sew - a real production line over here yesterday. I extended the dining table for more workspace and had numerous cups of tea. When I reflect back this exercise cost me the price of once expensive top and the hours to find it shopping - instead I made 3 and had my day at home.
As summer approached in it's haphazard way this year I looked at my wardrobe and thought I needed some cotton tops I can throw on look respectable, and stay cool in. The one inspired by Colette at Tessuti fit the bill and I had the book. I added 7cm to the length and 5cm to the arms - and I also didn't face the back but used bias binding - the second one I made up a facing for in the same fabric.
I went back last weekend for some more fabric - and although I still have two more pieces I thought I would try out some other patterns before I cut into the liberty lawn.
This is the second pocketed, do you recognise the fabric - I just couldn't resist, it is like bark cloth and a great colour.
Then this top with the pleats and gathered back, in a light cotton lawn.
Then this simple shift - where upon sewing up I realised I didn't add the seam allowance to the back piece - there was quite a fiddle with fitting in the sleeve but it did work in the end - I am not sure if it will sit right though. But in this pattern I have found the base I have been after - to make up a version of a Country Road top I have worn and worn over the past few years - it is gathered at the front with a scope neck and a few variations on the sleeve. That will be the next day of sewing me thinks.
Today I am super excited as I get to knit and hang out with the uber knitters. And get to catch up on my knitting - I have managed a few rows of Audery each night but it is slow going.